Sunday, May 15, 2011

Baby, its cold outside!






Ok...so, I knew enough about gardening to start some seeds inside a few weeks ago, and I know enough to know that anything that is outside tonight may not make it without some help. I had a dilema. I wanted to garden, but did not want to kill any precious plants


I could not help myself, however...I had to plant something in my garden. The seedlings in the solo cups had lost their luster and I needed something new! I had cut up some potatoes and shoved them in the barrel containers last week, but c'mon, BORING! Nothing visible but dirt and grass clippings for mulch (I did not know that I could use my grass clippings for mulch, so I have been throwing them away all these years!but here I should note something that I over-heard Saturday at Full Circle Compost... DO NOT use your grass clippings for garden mulch if you use weed and feed on your lawn!!!!)
No, I needed something green, something that looked like a real vegetable in my garden. So, I bought four (4) bell pepper plants (two yellow and two orange), plugged them into my beds and promptly encased each of them in their own Wall o' Water (which will act like a personal sauna until all threat of freeze has passed).


I also desperately want some fresh strawberries. So, I stole a really cool idea from my new favorite book called Edible Landscaping, by Rosalind Creasy (pages 148 & 149, if you are interested), and a built a patio strawberry patch. Now I guess...I sit and wait? Oh, and make more compost...I can always make more compost!

No comments:

Post a Comment